Chairman and President, Royal Dutch Shell*
Center for Global Energy Studies
The global energy industry is one of the world’s largest, most profitable and strategically critical industrial sectors. The industry touches everybody’s daily lives and is deeply connected to the politics, national security, and economic development of all nations. The industry is also poorly understood and often misinterpreted and misrepresented; a reality that Thunderbird hopes to change.
Thunderbird School of Global Management’s Center for Global Energy Studies has three main objectives:
- To leverage Thunderbird’s proven and growing capabilities in global energy education and study.
- To support Thunderbird as a “go-to” institution for MBA and corporate learning in the global energy industry.
- To create a link between Thunderbird and the global energy industry for student employment opportunities, internships, faculty research and various educational ventures
The Center for Global Energy Studies draws on the school’s thought leadership, cutting-edge curriculum and professional development offerings in the energy sector to provide organizations and individuals with educational programs and solutions designed to prepare them for the leadership challenges of today’s global energy environment.
Through the Center, Thunderbird offers management-level education solutions to
- Degree seekers
Our MBA programs feature an elective in Global Energy Industry: Business & Management, and an elective on Alternative Energy Sources is currently in development.
- Non-degree seekers
We offer classroom- and online-based professional development programs focused on the oil and gas industry, including our long-standing Advanced Management Program for Oil & Gas Industry Executives and our Online Certificate in Global Oil & Gas Management.
- Corporate partners
Through our Custom Executive Education Solutions, we provide organizational learning and development programs for some of the world’s largest and smallest energy organizations.
T-birds have access to life-long learning opportunities through any of our executive education offerings, and enjoy a discounted rate of 50% off of program fees.
Thunderbird’s 65 years of experience in global business education, and our unwavering focus on the importance of integrating an understanding of cross-border and cross-cultural relations with instruction in all facets of global business, uniquely positions the school at the core of global energy education. In fact, Thunderbird has produced thousands of alumni who have gone on to participate professionally in the global energy industry from Houston to Abu Dhabi – and we continue to graduate students aptly prepared for challenging management roles in today’s global energy organizations.
Energy Center Mission & Vision
Thunderbird global energy industry articles & case studies
- The Global Oil & Gas Industry 2010
- Enersis: Global Strategy in the Electric Power Sector
- Reliance Industries: An Emerging Player in Global Petrochemicals and Energy
- The BamÃnica Power Plant Project: What Went Wrong and What Can Be Learned
- Gazprom: The Evolution of a Giant in the Global Oil and Gas Industry
- Safety at Fluor Hanford (A)
- Safety at Fluor Hanford (B)
- Tosco, Valero, and the Independent Refining and Marketing Sector
- The Pacific LNG Project
- Rosneft’s Initial Public Offering (A)
- Primo Benzina AG
- Brazil’s Biofuel Revolution: Power of Sugarcane
- Brazil’s Biofuel Revolution: Sweet Versatility
- Brazil’s Biofuel Revolution: Doing More with Less
- Brazil’s Biofuel Revolution: Making Tradeoffs
- Brazil’s Biofuel Revolution: Betting the Farm
- Nuclear accident forces Japan to rethink long-term energy plan
- To Africa and beyond: Global oil insights from four T-bird proffessors
- Realities, past and present, of global oil
- Know your energy: Global oil Q&A with Andrew Inkpen
Thunderbird energy industry clients
Organizations that have come to Thunderbird for their energy industry executive education include:
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
- Maersk Oil
- Apache Corp.
- Mustang Engineering
- Baker Hughes
- Nexen Petroleum International
- Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
- China National Offshore Oil Co.
- ONGC (India)
- Petroleo Brasileiro S.A.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Wintershall AG
- J. Ray McDermott International
- Woodside Energy
- Kuwait Oil Company
For more information on Thunderbird’s Center for Global Energy Studies, contact us directly at:
Michael H. Moffett, Ph.D
Continental Grain Professorship in Finance
Phone: +1 602 978-7174
Fax: +1 602 843-6143
Andrew Inkpen, Ph.D
J. Kenneth and Jeannette Seward Chair in Global Strategy & Professor of Management
Phone: +1 602 978-7079
Fax: +1 602 843-6143